Synthetic diamonds, also known as man made diamonds, are more similar to diamonds mined from nature than you may think.
They are very durable, almost as hard as a natural diamond.
While a diamond has a hardness of 10, the synthetic ones have a hardness ranging between 8.5 and 9. This means that synthetic diamonds
are harder and more durable than other gemstones, such as
The Difference Between Synthetic and Simulant Diamonds
There are two types of man made diamonds: simulant and synthetic. Simulant diamonds are constructed of varied chemical composition.
They are made out of moissanite and silicon carbide.
There are even several types of simulant diamonds, such as cubic zirconia,
the most popular simulant diamond. In essence simulant diamonds, as their name suggests, look
like real diamonds,
but have different physical properties.
Synthetic or man made diamonds, on the other hand, share the same physical properties as diamonds and look
like diamonds. The difference between
synthetic and natural is that synthetic gems are created in a laboratory, instead of nature.
Here are some of the properties that natural diamonds have:
- Luster index: 17.2%
- Average density: 3.51
- Dispersion: 0.044
- Refractive index: 2.4
- Cleavage: in 4 directions
Pros of Synthetic Diamonds
- Cheaper than diamonds mined from the Earth
- They are not "blood diamonds." This means that the diamond you wear or purchase was not attained by unethical means
- and no one was killed over it.
- Look just like natural diamonds
- Have the same physical properties as natural diamonds
- Long lasting
- Very durable
- Technically, are real diamonds, but made by man, not nature
- High quality
- Large variety to choose from
- Can save up to 75%
Cons of Synthetic Diamonds
- Are made by man. Some people prefer to have something that came from the Earth.
- For economic reasons tend to be smaller than natural diamonds
- Colorless man made diamonds are hard to come by. Ironically, the opposite is true for natural diamonds.
- When it comes to diamonds from the Earth, colored ones are more rare.
- No certification
- Not easy to spot
Shop our favourites:
Why Buy Synthetic Diamonds?
You should buy or at least consider man made diamonds, because in regard to both quality and aesthetics, they are equal with natural diamonds.
Some argue that lab created diamonds are actually of a higher quality than natural diamonds, because they are carefully formed in a laboratory.
In addition, they are much easier on your wallet. You can save up to 75% by purchasing a man made diamond, instead of one mined from the Earth.
How to Identify Man Made Diamonds
It is difficult for most people to differentiate between synthetic and natural diamonds. In order to determine if a diamond is synthetic,
you need to know what to look for and have a tool.
Some of the tools that can be used are a loupe, fiber optic light, and a UV radiation test. One example of the difference between synthetic
and natural diamonds is that the synthetic ones have an hourglass graining.
An easier method would be to ask for certification. Natural diamonds always have a certification.
Go to Crystal Jewellery Xy Page from Synthetic Diamonds
Check out more interesting diamond facts here